As a woman, it’s a good idea to visit your local clinic or wellness center on a routine basis to be seen by an OBGYN. However, there are a few signs that indicate you should be seen by an OBGYN outside of your regular appointment:
- Pelvic pain—Experiencing pain in your pelvic area or your lower abdominal region should be brought to the attention of your OBGYN. Although you should not panic, pelvic pain can indicate that you have an ovarian cyst, an infection, or an ectopic pregnancy.
- Bleeding between periods—Light bleeding before your period starts or for a few days and afterwards is perfectly normal. However, if you experience bleeding in between periods of menstruation, you should be seen by an OBGYN at the clinic or wellness center.
- Unusual discharge—Discharge is the body’s way of keeping the vagina clean and healthy. Although the thickness of this discharge can vary throughout the month, you should seek medical attention if it is green, gray, or yellow.
- Problems with urination—If you struggle with urinary incontinence or producing a bowel movement, you might have pelvic floor problems, which occur when the tissues that support your pelvic organs become damaged. Simple strengthening exercises can help rectify the problem, but if a tear exists, you might need treatment.
- Painful sex—If having sex becomes painful, you might be experiencing vaginal dryness or an infection. You might also have uterine fibroids.
These are a few reasons you need to make an appointment at the local wellness center or clinic and get a checkup. It’s better to get treatment as soon as possible, because delays can make your symptoms or condition worsen.